[mythtv] New MPEG2 commercial-cut code ready for testing

Geoffrey Hausheer mythtv0368 at phracturedblue.com
Sat Nov 19 11:46:29 EST 2005

On 11/19/05, Cory Papenfuss wrote:
> > The PTS wrapping code was added, though it hasn't been tested too thoroughly.
> >
>         This *should* be a very unusual situation though, right?  Probably
> most likely from constructed sources like dvb or hdtv.  ivtv captures
> probably just happily spool the PTS along.
Actually, not so much.
PTS is mod 2^33, and are in units of 90,000/sec
Which means you get an overflow every 26.5 hours
Now the way the wrapping code work, we can only handle recordings less
than 13hours long (this might be fixable in the future, but I don't
think it is an unreasonable limit)

I think the PVR cards, will reset the PTS to something near 0 when
they start recording, but DVB and ATSC can have arbitrary start
points, so you should see a wrap in one out of every 26 1-hour
recordings.

.Geoff