[mythtv] F1 for key-binding help

Ted Romer tromer at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 17:12:11 EST 2005

I'm planning to code up a simple context-sensitive help window that would
show the keybindings for the current context.

I'd envision it behaving as follows:

F1: pop up a modeless transparent help window with text describing the keys
and their functions in the current context, and give focus to this window.
If the help window is already open, give it focus.

When the focus is on the help window:
HELP (F1): help on help (if there is any :)
ESCAPE (Esc): close the help window
MENU (M): give focus to the main window, but leave the help window visible.
Future: any other functionality the help window supports

If the context changes, the help window would close.

For a prototype I'll just put up static text based on my preferences and
remote configuration, but a finished version would reflect the dynamic
settings.

Questions (I'm new to the Myth code base, and I'm no UI builder or usability
expert):
1. Does the basic behavior sound right?
2. Has this already been done/thought about? I didn't see any similar
features/tasks/bugs in Trac.
3. Any complications I should anticipate?
4. Any tips on where to hook in the code? At least for prototyping I think
could just capture F1 in {libmyth/mythdialogs.cpp
,libmythui/mythmainwindowui.cpp}/TranslateKeyPress
and pop up a modal dialog with static help text based on the context
parameter, but I'm guessing I'll have to do more work than that to get the
fancier behavior I descibed above.

Ted Romer