[mythtv] Live-TV & Recording nightmare

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Nov 22 17:15:35 EST 2005

Steve Adeff wrote:

>Selecting "Delete and Re-Record" should then display the options to setup a
>rule to rerecord with the information required to grab that show (title,
>subtitle, etc. whatever),

This is actually the sticky point...  What you've simplified as,
"whatever," is something that can't be determined.  If, for example, the
user selected a daily timeslot recording, it makes a difference whether
he/she sets the rule by selecting a program that matches a weekday
(which would only record on Mon-Friday) or a weekend (which would record
on Sun-Sat) showing.

> defaulting everything else to their current
>settings but allowing the user to change them if desired. Or for the case of
>DVB finding the next airing that has no conflicts and selecting it for
>recording.

Why would it make a difference whether the source is DVB or analog?

Anyway, now that we all know what it means, is it really so hard to go
in to manual recordings if you want to create a new rule?  Only you know
whether you need another new rule (because only you know what you want
to re-record--which is determined by what options you select for the
rule) and "forcing" the user to create a rule or cancel out when they
already have a rule that works would be no more intuitive than the
current situation (probably less so, even).

Mike