[mythtv] Odd seek behavior in DVB/HDTV recordings

Keith C mythtv at keithandjill.com
Wed Nov 23 15:52:55 EST 2005

On Nov 23, 2005, at 2:32 PM, MythTV wrote:

> #692: Odd seek behavior in DVB/HDTV recordings
> -------------------------------
> +--------------------------------------------
>  Reporter:  fracmak at gmail.com  |        Owner:  ijr
>      Type:  defect             |       Status:  new
> Component:  mythtv             |      Version:  head
>  Severity:  medium             |   Resolution:
> -------------------------------
> +--------------------------------------------
> Comment (by anonymous):
>
>  I observed problems with over-that-air commercial insertion by
> some local
>  stations during HDTV broadcasts while using a different
> application. The
>  carrier is always HD format, but the commercials are obviously NTSC
>  inserted into the signal. They are low quality and have black
> vertial bars
>  at the edges. The picture often jumps from low res to HD when the
> local
>  commericals end and the network HD feed starts. Sometimes there is
> a bit
>  of the show in low res until the station cuts over to the network
> feed.
>  This cut is not well synchronized. It always glitches the picture and
>  sound. Sometimes it crashes the Windows application. I wonder if this
>  sloppy switching may be fouling up the time codes in the transport
> stream.
>  Not all the local stations have this problem.

Moving to myth-dev for discussion.

I agree that the shift between screen modes is messy and can cause
problems, but it has always been that way.

My problems with the length calculation and commercial skip missing
only started somewhere in the middle of October.  Length for a 59-60
minute recording is generally reported as 56 minutes in the OSD.
This only happens on my HD-3000.  Recordings made with my PVR500
report the correct length and seek correctly.

Keith C