[mythtv] Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r7932 by nigel

David Snider dsnider at thesniderpad.com
Wed Nov 23 16:23:12 EST 2005

> The problem is with line 325 of mythplugins/configure:
>
>     if test x`which sdl-config` != x ; then
>
> test expects one word on either side of the != so all that "no sdl-
> config in ..." crap gives it heartburn. Down at line 691 theres a
> which that redirects stderr to /dev/null. I assume that is to
> protect from chatty which programs but Apple's which writes to
> stdout. It's true we could change the test to pipe which's output
> to grep -v ^no but that goes against my principles on the grounds
> of uglyness. Still, it would work.
>
> OTOH those two tests aren't very crucial so I don't see why they
> caused my build to fail. I'll remove the /sw/bin from the script's
> path and try again.

If you don't like the "grep -v ^no", the only other suggestion I have
is to write a custom "which" like function, that basically parses the
$PATH variable and checks each path element for the binary, shouldn't
be too many lines of code.  IMHO I don't think that the grep option
is too ugly, it should work across most platforms doesn't require
additional manual coding.