[mythtv] Automatic zoom to remove black borders for dvb

Dennis Tell dennis.tell at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 14:35:33 UTC 2005

Indeed. Thanks for that, just what I needed. The "fill" mode wasn't
mentioned in the on screen menu, or in the keys.txt file, and I wasn't using
"w" to access aspect ratio options, just the menu, so I never discovered
it...

About your suggestion; I'm wondering when and how the video stream aspect
ratio would be incorrectly detected. Isn't it enough to set it once and for
all for each channel?

>From a user point of view, it seems to me that it wold be nice to get away
from the concepts of aspect ratios, zoom and stretch. All the user cares
about is where the black bars are and how thick they are. So I'd like to see
the following three options:

1. Zoom to remove vertical black bars. (your b)
2. Zoom to remove top and bottom black bars. (your a)
3. Zoom to midpoint between 1 and 2.

These three modes would not just consider the aspect ratio and size of the
video stream, they would also look at the actual image content, which would
be useful for dvb channels that sometimes broadcast a 720 wide image with
thick black bars on the left and right side. Without looking at the pixels,
there is no way to determine whether those bars are there or not.