[mythtv] DSM-CC object carousel parser and storage patch for0.18.1

John Papaioannou john.papaioannou at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 18:42:16 UTC 2005

On 10/1/05, Ian Caulfield <imc25 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Oct 2005, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
>
> > The problem with these ideas is that the DSMCC streams are only a
> > transport mechanism. They have no knowledge of what they carry.
> >
> > For idea #1 we would have to download the entire carousel and then
> > re-encode it and stick it back into the data stream. Messy.
>
> Is that necessary? Is it not possible to just filter the packets/tables
> depending on whether a copy has already be saved or not?

I think Stuart meant that since the decoding will be done at the frontend by
passing the DSMCC stream through from the backend, the frontend will be
expecting to receive streams to work with. The only way to get those from
the cached carousel contents would be to re-encode (presumably at the
backend).

John