[mythtv] How do I start using svn to get MythTV source

Carl Reynolds mythtv-dev at hyperbole-software.com
Wed Oct 5 19:17:20 UTC 2005

Pascal, Neale, and Tom,

Thanks for your help with this.

At first I was confused by your response that I needed to tell squid
about the REPORT method because, I'm pretty sure I don't have squid
running on my machine. Then I used Ethereal to capture the packets that
went back and forth between my machine and Billy Bob's Bait, Tackle,
Tattoos, Telephone and Internet Services and I saw a packet that said
that their squid server had rejected the REPORT message because it had
an invalid method.

After several phone conversations with their support people that went
something like:
   Me: I need to talk to someone who supports you squid server.
   Support: Would you hold a second please?
    ..... two or three minutes ....
   Support: What are you trying to do?
   Me: I'm trying to use Subversion as a software version manager and
I'm getting a message back from your squid server that the REPORT
message is not a valid HTTP method.
    Support: Uuuummmm, ... Would you please hold on a minute?
    ....   long pause ....
    Support: What makes you think the problem is with our server?
    Me: Well, I have been having problems with subversion being able to
access a remote server and I captured the packets being sent and the
response says that it comes from squid.ss.bbbtttis.com. It says that
REPORT is not a valid method.
    Support: Could you please hold on a minute?
     .....  .....
    Support: you shouldn't be using 'www' in front of the URL.
    Me: I'm not. I told you the URL is svn.mythtv.org/
   Support: Could you please hold on?
    ....   etc.    ....

Any way I finally sent an e-mail to their technical people with the dump
of the packets and suggesting that they needed to add
   extension_methods REPORT MERGE MKACTIVITY CHECKOUT
to the squid.conf file.

I just got back an e-mail saying

> svn.mythtv.org (70.84.9.188) was excluded from out proxy servers.
> Now cvs should run fine.

and when I tried svn it works!!

Thanks for your replies, I couldn't have done it without you :-)
Carl.