[mythtv] Development task list:

Gerd v. Egidy lists at egidy.de
Thu Oct 6 15:21:55 UTC 2005

> > > [RPC slow, not securable]
> >
> > I'm just thinking about making things easier for other programs to
> > interoperate with myth, is all.
>
> As far as I know these are the options: CORBA, DBUS, DCE, DCOM, DCOP,
> Sun RPC, XML-RPC, SOAP, MBUS, ICE.
>
> AFAIC: CORBA, DCOM and Sun RPC are not securable, DBUS is not
> (yet?) networkable, XML-RPC and SOAP are fat, DCOP is not well
> supported outside Linux/BSD. And, if KDE is any indication,
> DCOP behaves badly after an application crash.

From the DBUS tutorial:
http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-tutorial.html#addresses

An address can also specify TCP/IP sockets, or any other transport defined in
future iterations of the D-BUS specification.

To me this sounds like its networkable...

For a good comparison of DBUS to the other mentioned IPC/RPC mechanisms listed
here, see the DBUS FAQ:

http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-faq.html#other-ipc

Kind regards,

Gerd