[mythtv] mythcommflag: GetNextFreeFrame() unable to lock frame 100 times. Discarding Frames.

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Wed Oct 12 00:38:41 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 18:03 -0600, John P Poet wrote:
> When mythcommflag runs, I often get a lot of:
> 2005-10-11 18:02:02.387 GetNextFreeFrame() unable to lock frame 100
> times. Discarding Frames.

I thought I had fixed this last week.

Basically, if you get a frame you are supposed to return it,
either by calling DoneDisplayingFrame(), if you are processing
the "LastShownFrame", or DiscardFrame(VideoFrame*), if it is
possibly some other frame. This is essential if you are using
hardware decoding such as XvMC, as not doing things properly
can deadlock the Linux kernel inside the video driver. But if
you are using the null video output like in the commercial
scanner, not doing it only means you will pause every 32th
frame or so waiting for a "free-all" timeout (while waiting,
these messages get printed out).

> Commerical flagging seems to working just fine, so I assume I can
> ignore all these?
Yep. But, of course, it would be nicer to fix this, are you sure
this is the commercial scanner and not transcode? I thought I
looked though the commercial scanner pretty carefully last week.

-- Daniel