[mythtv] Adding support for custom capture card

Luc Gallant llgallan at engmail.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Oct 12 17:53:35 UTC 2005

Hello List,

Two questions for everyone on the devel list:

FIRSTLY:
I have a custom device that I am interested in having mythtv support. Basically
this device sends video over the network, either localhost or through the
network, and using mythtv I want to extract the video from that pipe. The pipe
could contain multiple streams (channels) and myth would then be able to browse
through those channels.

I figure that creating a new capture card is the way to go, but I figure that
there should be a way to bridge the device into V4L device. Anyway, I will be
doing the programming so any advice would be appreciated.

SECONDLY:
I wanto to start editing some of the stuff for experimentation, but I can't seem
to understand the structure of mythtv well enough to begin. I tried looking for
documentation about the development, but can't find much. I need advice on how
to get started into it. If anyone could let me know how to get going that would
be greatly appreciated.

Luc Gallant