[mythtv] mythcommflag: GetNextFreeFrame() unable to lock frame 100 times. Discarding Frames.

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 04:41:46 UTC 2005

On 10/11/05, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/11/05, Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 18:03 -0600, John P Poet wrote:
> > > When mythcommflag runs, I often get a lot of:
> > > 2005-10-11 18:02:02.387 GetNextFreeFrame() unable to lock frame 100
> > > times. Discarding Frames.
> >
> > I thought I had fixed this last week.
> >
> > Basically, if you get a frame you are supposed to return it,
> > either by calling DoneDisplayingFrame(), if you are processing
> > the "LastShownFrame", or DiscardFrame(VideoFrame*), if it is
> > possibly some other frame. This is essential if you are using
> > hardware decoding such as XvMC, as not doing things properly
> > can deadlock the Linux kernel inside the video driver. But if
> > you are using the null video output like in the commercial
> > scanner, not doing it only means you will pause every 32th
> > frame or so waiting for a "free-all" timeout (while waiting,
> > these messages get printed out).
> >
> > > Commerical flagging seems to working just fine, so I assume I can
> > > ignore all these?
> > Yep. But, of course, it would be nicer to fix this, are you sure
> > this is the commercial scanner and not transcode? I thought I
> > looked though the commercial scanner pretty carefully last week.
> >

> I have never used the transcoder.
>
> Another mythcommflag process is running now, and it is *not*
> generating those messages, so it does not do it all the time.
>
> Is there an option to "mythbackend -v" that I should add, so I can
> give you more information then next time this happens?
>
> Actually, now that I think about it, I wonder if it was trying to
> "real time" flag commericals for one of my manual-record-tests even
> after I aborted (and deleted) the show?  I bet mythcommflag was not
> told that the show/file had been removed and kept trying to process
> it.
>
> John

Okay, the idea that these messages where coming from a recording which
had been deleted out from under mythcommflag was wrong.  I do
occasionally get these when it is working on perfectly valid
recordings.

They don't seem to cause any problems, but I am willing to try and
help track down the cause, with some direction...

John