iPod & generic mp3 player support (was: Re: [mythtv] mythmusic tree construction - can it be changed ?)

Eskil Heyn Olsen myth at eskil.org
Tue Oct 18 16:50:52 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 10:04 -0400, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:

> Are you planning on making the iPod support generic?  That is, basically
> make a generic 'external music device' framework, and have the
> iPod-specific interface either inherit from or plug into it?

Yes, it'll probably be a fairly simple object where you can inherit and
implement a stack of methods such as
- get info (size, free space, has db or filesystem layout)
- traverse player's database/or filesystem
- copy file to/from
- delete file
- "eject"...
if any other players need extra methods, we can add them. I think it
would be generic enough that other mp3 players could easily be added.

As for mounting, I would look at reusing the media handler (of course,
first I need to rehack the tree so I can even show the ipod).

eskil
---