[mythtv] Suggestion for improving SLOW channel changing in LiveTV.....

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Thu Sep 8 13:18:48 UTC 2005

Peter Lee wrote:

>I would personally never use such a mode, but I know that others in my
>household would.

Nor would any of the developers.  It's a PVR, that implies buffering.

>Why do I think this is a reasonable approach?  First, I don't think
>live TV is all that useful, and thus it wouldn't be used by seasoned
>PVR users.  Live TV is for channel-surfers, and channel-surfers
>probably have less of an expectation of PVR functionality.

We've had a PVR since the first Tivos hit the shelves we still use live
tv.  We don't *want* to record everything.  Sometimes we like to sit
down and discover something new.

When I'm using my Myth box I expect it to perform at LEAST as well as my
Tivo did years ago.  What you're proposing is a HUGE step back in
functionality.  One of the major features of a PVR is the ability to
rewind live tv.