[mythtv] Suggestion for improving SLOW channel changing in LiveTV.....

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Thu Sep 8 14:01:50 UTC 2005

> I'm starting to feel bad about littering the developers list with so
> many messages on this topic, since I'm fairly certain the issue is not
> all that important, but...
>
> The idea to use an EXEC_TV to launch live TV works fine, except that
> it lacks (I think) the feature to start recording whatever you're
> watching when you hit the record button.  Also, what happens when the
> backend wants to grab the tuner?

 	For the most part I agree with the developers' sentiment that
LiveTV isn't broken.  For the most part, I never even use LiveTV.

 	If someone were interested in modifying how it operates, I would
think a "loopback" mode makes the most sense.  I don't know if the ivtv
drivers support getting *both* the RAW YUV data and the MPEG stream at the
same time, but that would be pretty slick.  Same with bttv-based tuners...
if you're watching LiveTV in real-time, just display the uncompressed
video.  Maybe/maybenot be recording and streaming in the background
(depends on computer HP, I suppose).  If you hit pause, start recording
from there.  Heck, maybe even use an uncompressed ringbuffer.

 	Again, I think that for the most part this is largely unnecessary.
Lots of work for minimal gain.  Once one truly accepts the PVR method of
watching TV, "LiveTV" becomes unnecessary and undesired.

-Cory