[mythtv] Suggestion for improving SLOW channel changing in LiveTV.....

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Thu Sep 8 15:35:06 UTC 2005

>>     I also didn't use LiveTV because the record/playback quality on a
>> PVR-250 was noticably worse than watching LiveTV on the TV.  Not exactly
>> sure why (I've been trying to figure it out for close to 2 years), but it
>> is.  For the convenience of time-shifting, it's a sacrifice I'm willing to
>> make.
>

> Probably because you had  different bitrates / capture resolutions between
> the "default" and "live tv" profiles.

 	Likely possibility for someone new to mythtv, but I was a bit more
thorough than that.  I even went so far as to generate
ultra-high-frequency test patterns (1800x480 resolution using vector-based
B&W test patterns out the VGA port).  Bottom line is that the Philips chip
on the pvr-250 does not capture as high of resolution of the relatively
crappy rear projection CRT.  It's not the MPEG compression either (I got
the RAW YUV data as well).  It's possible that the ivtv drivers tweak a
few more things now than then (0.1.9), but from my current system I'd say
no.

-Cory