[mythtv] Suggestion for improving SLOW channel changing inLiveTV.....

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Sun Sep 11 15:25:20 UTC 2005

On Sun 11 September 2005 15:02, Ed W wrote:
> You are replying to *MY* post where I stated that I had already patched
> an earlier version of myth to change channels on DVB in usually under
> 500ms and sometimes much less.  This was done by fiddling with timeouts,
> buffer sizes and removing redundant pause statements

My bad - the thread have moved so far from your original post that I was
forgetting what was said at the start.

> The delays ARE solvable, they just need some investigation and time.
> It's NOT trivial to do this though because Myth is a multithreaded
> program and it's quite easy to accidently setup some race condition
> which breaks things.  But it IS possible, and *YOU* can help make it
> happen by reporting back on channel change timings based on some
> profiling of the code (not based on using your wrist watch and flipping
> channels mind)
>
> Please help and get involved.  I would love to see this all get faster

Fair enough, I will see what time I can contribute in determining current
timings - I would love to do more but this seems like the least time
intensive place to start.

There are other areas where I would like to see Myth get faster and also a
couple of bugs which I have sat upon for a while. (My only reason for sitting
on one bugs was personal, it  falls under Jason's area and we seem to annoy
each other without even trying.)

P.S. I feel I got dragged too far from my original point in this thread, I
never meant to get involved in the LiveTV debate at all, my original post was
only meant to challenge the user/software relationship suggested by Tom
Craddock. I'm sorry for prolonging the argument!
--
Stuart Morgan