[mythtv] Example of overlay for live TV

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Sep 17 02:00:52 UTC 2005

Devan Lippman wrote:

> On 9/16/05, *Michael T. Dean* <mtdean at thirdcontact.com
> <mailto:mtdean at thirdcontact.com>> wrote:
>
>     Devan Lippman wrote:
>
>     > Could someone point me to a code example for creating an overlay for
>     > mythtv that would allow me to create a scroller at the top of the
>     > screen?  I'm trying to make something that would allow me to watch
>     > games while reviewing my fantasy leagues.  Basically I was
>     planning a
>     > background thread that updates a fantasy league table (football for
>     > now) and then some mechanism for displaying it to the screen.   Any
>     > advice is appreciated.
>     >
>     mythtvosd --help
>
>     specifically, with the "--template=scroller
>     --scroll_text='Whatever you
>     want to say.'" options.  Note, also, "--template=alert
>     --alert_text='whatever'" can be a useful display, too.
>

> Tried that a little while back but could never get the darn thing to work.

It requires support in your theme (and, BTW, you would modify the theme
to make it scroll at the top instead of the bottom).  Which theme are
you using?  Works fine on mine with the isthmus OSD theme.

As far as the example code goes, mythtvosd would  be the example, but if
you can't get mythtvosd working, you probably won't be able to get code
based off it working...

I can say that mythtvosd works fine on my system, so keep trying with
it.  If you let us know what the errors are, maybe we can help.

Mike