[mythtv] Building MythTV SVN Packages (rpm)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun Apr 2 12:24:25 UTC 2006

On Sat, Apr 01, 2006 at 04:46:19PM -0800, Chris Petersen wrote:
> Someone on one of the mythtv lists recently pointed out the "build from
> svn" spec files on the mythtv wiki.  Since I hate to see things done
> halfway, I've updated these so they work properly, and added a ton of
> documentation.

I had already discussed this with buzz in PM. Having a specfile use
svn co is a very broken concept for rpm, e.g. just like having a
specfile use wget to get the release sources. rpm (and deb) go through
lengths to ensure deterministic reproducability.

You should split the svn co functionality out and feed the specfile
with an svn tarball instead, that's what all other packages based on
cvs/svn bits do, not only at ATrpms or Fedora, but in the rpm and deb
world generally. The difference between the specfiles used for the
release and an svn snapshot should be a few lines defining more or
less the name of the tarball.

This specfile has also desynced quite a lot from ATrpms' partly
refixing bugs fixed long ago or fixing bugs w/o submitting these fixes
to ATrpms (throwing a complete specfile rewrite with more difflines
than the original specfile has doesn't count ;).

If you like to contribute to the packages please use small diffs
instead, thanks!
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net