[mythtv] Memory leaks in SVN

Janne Grunau janne-mythtv at grunau.be
Sun Apr 9 18:57:12 UTC 2006

On Sunday 09 April 2006 14:03, Ed W wrote:
Hi,

> 1) Frontend is leaking memory badly when playing back mpeg2 files
> from DVB recordings (uk).  Memory usage sits fairly constant and then
> jumps up by between 300Kb - 2Mb every so often.  Most of this memory
> is not released by quiting playback and restarting (perhaps 100Mb is
> returned).  It consumes perhaps an extra 400Mb in 30-60 mins of
> playback and eventually the machine runs out of swap and the frontend
> dies

My frontend uses much memory (250-400M) but it seems not leak memory
while playback. At least no 400M per hour.
I can confirm that continuouosly entering and existing Live-TV leaks
5-10M per iteration. I can't see this with massif (a valgrind tool).

> 2) On starting livetv playback of a DVB channel, backend often
> (perhaps 1 in 3 times) goes into a loop and consumes all the
> available memory until it runs out of swap and dies.  The frontend
> never shows any video, but it does briefly show the name of the
> channel and what's on.  There is frantic disk activity right from the
> start

never seen this.

> 3) Channel scanner in the backend is frequently getting killed with
> some message about glibc free (will take a closer look from a
> backtrace later).

You mean the EIT-scanner? It is rock solid here atm.

> 6) Backend seems to be consuming a lot more CPU than previously when
> recording TV?  Currently it uses 30-40% on a P2.8Ghz machine when
> recording 2 channels

Can't confirm. Even three recordings don't take more than 3 percent.

The only difference in regard to the eit-crawler I can think off are the
EIT-fixup routines. They need a lot of CPU time. Try to disable them in
eitfixup.cpp Fix().