[mythtv] Philips MythTV presentation at CELinux[MESSAGE NOT SCANNED]

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 13:38:23 UTC 2006

On 4/25/06, Colin Guthrie <mythtv at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
> Steven Adeff wrote:
> > Its things like this that make people hate Corporations.
>
> I have to agree overall, but do have some caveats.
>
> <rant myth-dev-relevence="low">
>
> I think it was very good of Arnoud to write to us on the mailing list
> and explain things. There is no obligation from corporations such as
> Philips to do this and I think it sets a very good example to other
> companies that are far worse in this regard. So thank you Arnoud.
>
> Personally I have campaigned very hard with the FFII in the UK against
> changes to the EU Patent directive which were thankfully thrown out by
> the EU a year or so ago due to the overwhelming public protest.
>
> So I am the last person to defend the patent system which I feel is
> fundamentally tilted in favour of those with money and believe me I have
> battled back and forth with the arguments with various politicians,
> business leaders and Free software enthusiasts.
>
> So, I feel the patent system is ultimately unfair, but I am also a
> realist. If say HyperGlobalMegaCorp decided that they, like me think
> that "patents are bad mmmmm-kay" and scrap any filing of new patents,
> the fact of the matter is that other, less idealistic corporations, will
> basically have them over a barrel by exploiting the known flaws in the
> patent system (particularly relating to prior art, in the public domain
> or otherwise).
>
> So it would be unrealistic to expect Philips to not patent things like
> this, and I don't blame Philips per-se for doing so. I blame the system.
>
> Arnoud stated in his mail "This particular patent application (not a
> granted patent!) is not used in any product, nor do we have such
> plans.". While I'm not gullible and the fact that there are "no such
> plans" today doesn't affect what will be planned tomorrow, we have to
> realise that that is the best we can make of a bad situation (assuming
> the patent is bad which is my general rule of thumb, although as stated
> in earlier threads we could use this signal quite cunningly in Myth!!).
>
> I think there is little point in getting annoyed a corporations.
> Fundamentally, they are out to make money. They will use every availible
> technique to do this within the law (and often beyond), so if the system
> allows them to have massive patent wars with each other and squash the
> saller competition/Free software movement in the process, then they will.
>
> The real blame lies at the doors of the various patent offices around
> the world and the governments that give them their authorisation.
>
> </rant>

I agree, my rant was about the patent system, sure Philips is a
company with fatmoney lawyers, but they're just competing in a world
that happens to have as screwed up patent system thanks to useless
governments.
Its what bothers me about the anti-corporation people (be they
"new-style liberals" in the uSA or whatever other social
organization/label in other countries/regions), they harp about how
the government needs to limit corporate greed when its the government
(and man's inherent stupidity) allowing corporations to be "greedy".
Capitalism is treated like Communism.

It's why Nader pisses the hell out of me....

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!