[mythtv] mythtv features i've been working on.

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 00:02:53 UTC 2006

On 8/10/06, stanley kamithi <skamithi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Over the last 9 months, I've made some changes to Mythtv that I find useful.
>  Wanted to know if any of these features are liked by others.
>
>  The changes are found in 2 diffs which "should" apply cleanly to the latest
> SVN
>  revision. I update the diffs once a week.
>   -> mythtv branch diff
>  http://rippleweb.com/mythtv/custom_mythtv.diff
>  -> myththeme branch diff
>  http://rippleweb.com/mythtv/custom_mythtv_themes.diff
>
>  Before compiling,  create the following symlinks
>
>   cd libs/libmythtv
>   ln -s ../../programs/mythfrontend/playbackbox.h
>
>   ln -s ../../programs/mythfrontend/playbackbox.cpp
>   ln -s ../../programs/mythfrontend/viewscheduled.h
>   ln -s ../../programs/mythfronted/viewscheduled.cpp
>
> Myththeme changes have only been applied to the mythCenter theme and
> Titivillus OSD theme, so please use these themes to experience all the
> features.
>
> I use a nvidia fx5200 and Xv video output. I am not sure how these features
> perform in any other mode.
>
>   test it on your dev PCs and let me know what you think ?
>
> If there are some features folks like, i'll clean up the code and start
> creating tickets for the requested features.
>
> Features are:
>
> 1) embedded playbackbox and scheduled view. This works like the
> embedded program guide. Just go to the TV OSD Menu and select "Recorded
> Shows"
> or "Scheduled Recordings".
>
> 2) PIP between a Recorded Show and Live TV. From the Embedded "Watch
> Recordings" window, select "Play in PIP" and the recording starts up as a
> PIP. Even works for DVDs using the internal dvd player. I like to watch a
> recording
> while playing an exercise video. I use Picture by Picture for this.
>
> 3) Picture by Picture. (PBP)
>   Add "PBPMode" = 1 to the Settings table.
>   Then when the picture is in PIP mode, hit the PIPToggle button again to
> activate PBP, then hit the PIPToggle button again
>   to go back to just one picture.
>
> 4) If you are watching a recorded show, then exit to the main menu, hitting
> Watch Live TV will take you back to where you left off.
> So basically no need to go fishing around in Watch Recordings to find the
> show
> you were last watching. My wife really likes this one.
> Stores last show in RAM, so if you restart Mythtv you lose the setting. I
> like
> it this way.
>
> 5) Selecting "Watch TV" first checks if a tuner is free. If not, it plays
> the
> newest recording. Option available to turn off the feature.
> Both feature (1) and (5) depend on the TV::startWatchingTV function which
> replaces the startTV function. I wanted to a way
> where I can go from Live TV to a recorded show and back again, without
> deleting the
>  TV object.

> [...]

some of your changes look quite interesting, and I'm sure if you
packaged them into seperate diffs and created tickets for them folks
would be able to test and comment on what you've done for eventual
inclusion.

I like the "PBP" idea, would prbly be great for 16:9 hdtv's.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!