[mythtv] Occasional LiveTV freezes

Martin van Es mrvanes at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 09:30:30 UTC 2006

Hi!

since upgrading to 10881 (from 10352), mythfrontend freezes
occasionally while playing livetv. The freeze can be temporary freeze
or complete unrecoverable standstill.
The system is Via Epia based (600MHz) with simple pvr-150 ivtv analog
source and viaXvMC out. All files are on multiple partitions of the
same physical hard disk.

There is one outstanding change since 10352 for me that might be linked?
I had several channels that acted funky. They tended to skip every few
seconds, having otherwise perfect reception. This is now gone. I
allways thought this was a. strange for analog TV and b. due to
cheap/faulty hardware and/or buggy ivtv driver but turns out to be
solved in mythtv. I like this improvement, I don't like the
consequence (if it is). Anybody any idea what might trigger these
improvements and fallback? Any settings I could try to experiment
with?

I have not found a way to reproduce the freezes, but mythfronted
logging barks about prebuffering pauzes, audio buffer underruns and
'waited 1.0 seconds for data to become available'.

Regards,
Martin