[mythtv] Occasional LiveTV freezes

Martin van Es mrvanes at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 17:25:33 UTC 2006

On 8/23/06, Martin van Es <mrvanes at gmail.com> wrote:
> No, it's not immediately after starting liveTV, it's even the
> opposite: it takes a while for the problems to kick in.
>
> Meanwhile I discovered the HD in my myth-pc was starting to show some
> hickups (dma related kernel errors) that I didn't notice before. I'm
> replacing the disk as we speak and let you know if that makes any
> difference. Even though it sounds obvious, I'm not completely
> convinced this was the reason for the hickups/freezes.

Mea Culpa!
Ok, so it was the harddisk.

And I can tell everyone who wants to listen: don't save on your HD. My
mythback/frontend is a low-power fanless via Epia solution and I
thought a simple 4200rpm 2mb cache 2,5" HD would suffice. It does, but
having a brand new shiny 5400rpm 8mb 2,5" instead of this one is a
whole new experience! Apart from no freezes, channel switching seems
snappier. Maybe this sounds obvious, I just never thought the HD was
such a bottleneck!

Happy Myth'ing!

Regards,
Martin!