[mythtv] internal dvd player issues

Jack Perveiler perveilerj at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 28 14:56:56 UTC 2006

I updated to r10954 (in trunk) yesterday and tried watching a couple of DVDs.
I found a couple of issues:

1) On Baby Einstein: Baby Van Gogh (a real popular title, I'm sure) I get some
very odd behavior once the main title starts playing.  Namely, if I press the
button for chapter+, the OSD comes up with "JUMP BACK" printed and then the
frontend hangs (just mythtv, not the machine).  I get this message in my
frontend log as well: "libdvdnav: RANDOM or SHUFFLE titles are NOT handled
yet."

So I read this as "the library we're using doesn't handle this type of disc",
which is fine.  But can somebody tell me, just for my own knowledge, exactly
what a RANDOM or SHUFFLE dvd is?  Is this something oddball or pretty common?
Googling around I found someone that mentioned that discs with "repeat play",
which this disc has, could fall into the RANDOM category.  Is that what I'm
seeing?

2) On Serenity and Million Dollar Baby (the only two other dvds I tried) I
noticed that whenever a seek-to-chapter occured I get blockiness for a half
second or so.  It almost looks like we're jumping to a non-keyframe.  This also
occurs when jumping to the root menu.  Is this a known issue?  I searched the
archives and active tickets and nothing jumped out at me, but I could be wrong.

--Jack