[mythtv] ffmpeg SWSCALE!

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 23:12:35 UTC 2006

On 8/30/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> So, does that mean that Blu-Ray (BDROM) will fail?  (I definitely
> wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.  After all, technology that
> survives rarely does so on merit.)

My prediction, from what information I've gathered, is that HD-DVD
will win the 1080p movie market. Blu-Ray may keep a foot hold in the
professional ROM R/W market due to its large capactiy, but I feel for
home users HD-DVD will be the overall winner.

> But, if done right, DVD's in 720x480 anamorphic widescreen on a 1080p TV
> can give nearly the same quality output as HDTV in 1080i/p on a 1080p TV...

rotfl! thats because all you've see is broadcast 1080i, which does not
come close to image quality that HD-DVD provides. HD-DVD, on a true
1080p display will blow. your. mind. Its truely a site to behold, even
PBS/InHD/HDNet can't come close to the bitrate and color palette that
HD-DVD will provide. HD-DVD also has the honor of holding uncompressed
surround sound. Where DVD's are AC3/DTS encodings (of usually
processed) theatre audio, HD-DVD will hold the uncompressed audio (and
from what I understand, unprocessed from what I hear as well.

You just can't "make up" the information by upsampling.

On 8/30/06, Petr Stehlik <pstehlik at sophics.cz> wrote:
> I thought it was obvious that nobody would be re-releasing all movies on
> HD-DVD. I don't say they won't re-release - they actually will, but not
> everything released so far. Maybe few per cent at best...

True, in the short term I think HD-DVD will live the live DVD did in
its early years. But now, 10+ years down the road practically
everything is on DVD. A lot of films that are being shown on TV in HD
now are new transfers, and HD-DVD 1080p versions will most likely be
made from these new transfers. HD tv shows could also very well be
re-released on HD-DVD (and if kept in their broadcast form MPEG2 they
could probably fit on the same number of discs as the original DVD
releases).

> Besides, LCD TVs are here now while HD-DVD will come much later - and
> will eventually feature M$ DRM so we won't play them in Myth at all.

It's still questionable how the whole DRM thing will shake out.
Apparently the DRM on HD-DVD is not a whole lot stronger than it was
on DVD, so perhaps eventually linux *will* be able to play them.

In the end, it still makes sense to implement swscaler in MythTV.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!