[mythtv] Options (Was: automatic simultaneous jobs scaling)

osma ahvenlampi oa at iki.fi
Sun Dec 10 11:17:43 UTC 2006

On 12/9/06, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> Having more options are, nine out of ten times, a good thing. Yes,
> there already are many pages of options between mythfrontend and
> mythtv-setup.

This is way off the original topic, but I just have to recommend
everyone to read Havoc Pennington's article on this subject from four
year's ago. I still rings true.
http://ometer.com/free-software-ui.html

> Those who don't want to add any more had better never,
> ever claim that "the ability to configure things the way I want" is a
> reason why they started MythTV in the first place!

Well, for the record: back when I was building mine, I first thought
I'd use Freevo, but shied away from it due to its use of
(un-integrated) mplayer for content - I felt it might make it
difficult to use it with a remote control, and never bothered to find
out if that was true or not. I also considered VDR, primarily because
at the time MythTV did not support DVB subtitling and because it could
record multiple channels from the same multiplex (a feature I still
miss in MythTV, but don't know how to implement myself). I never
actually tried that either, because it seemed to be geared towards the
use of TV out on tuner cards, and I wanted to drive a projector from
the standard VGA. I know it can do that, but MythTV seemed easier to
install.

So it was *ease of use*, or at least the appearance of it, that pulled
me to MythTV, and I haven't bothered looking elsewhere since. This is
why I think making it easier still would be a good strategy -- that
is, if the popularity of the software was a factor in decision-making,
which I understand it may not be.

I'd be happy to discuss the subject more, software UI being one of the
areas I have an interest for, but I'm afraid that discussion might be
considered off-topic?

--
Osma Ahvenlampi   <oa at iki.fi>       http://www.fishpool.org