[mythtv] Use a TiVo Series 3 as a tuner?

Marco Nelissen marcone at xs4all.nl
Thu Dec 21 04:31:01 UTC 2006

>Nate Carlson wrote:
>> Just curious.. since the TiVo Series 3 has full cablecard support and
>> such, has anyone thought about writing a input module to use it as a
>> tuner?
>>
>I picked up a Series 3 last week.
>
>Quick probing - I found the MPEG2 data stream for OTA/QAM (pre
>cable-card) - it is in a form that could be fed into a modified
>HDHomeRun board.

The information in dvrupgrade.com seems to indicate that the standard
upgrade/hack software already available will also work on a Series 3,
meaning it's possible to run custom software on the Series 3. Wouldn't
it then be possible to do a pure software solution, e.g. something that
grabs the stream from tivo's ringbuffer and sends it over the network
to a mythtv backend?