[mythtv] code for user jobs only in front end?

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Thu Dec 28 06:20:31 UTC 2006

* On Mon Dec 25, 2006 at 05:07:02PM -0500, Paul Paul wrote:
>  I posted the message below to the mythtv-users list and mythtvtalk forum
> and myth-dev lists that with myth .20 it's not running the user jobs.  I
> didn't get replies and am digging into the code to see where it's broken,
> but am new to myth's code.  I found the following calls which would seem
> to start the user jobs:
>
> programs/mythfrontend/playbackbox.cpp:
> SLOT(doBeginUserJob1()));
> programs/mythfrontend/playbackbox.cpp:
> SLOT(doBeginUserJob1()));

The frontend doesn't run jobs.  If you want to run any jobs on the
frontend, you need to either run mythbackend or mythjobqueue on the same
machine as mythfrontend.  It would be easy enough to add code to have
the frontend run the JobQueue as well, but it would also require some
logic added to default jobs to off for frontend-only machines so the
user would have to explicitly turn them on.  I made a note in my TODO
about this, but it's not high on my priority list since mythjobqueue
exists.

Wherever you want to run them, you need to run mythtv-setup to allow
User Jobs to run on that particular host.  But that is a -users
question and has been answered many times over so for more info look in
the -users list archives for howto instructions.

--
Chris