[mythtv] QThread vs. pthreads

Keith Layne keith at laynes.org
Thu Dec 28 23:30:13 UTC 2006

The coding standards say to be as platform-independent as possible, but I
see the pthread lib being used predominantly.  I know a lot of people like
pthreads, but it isn't very c++, and not that platform-independent.  Is this
because you only really want to support POSIX-compliant OSes?  I don't
really have a problem with that, but I also see use of both QThread classes
and pthreads (like in mythbackend/mainserver.cpp).  Do pthreads have big
advantages, or is this just a sort of anachronism?  I can't really find any
discussion on this topic, so I was wondering what the consensus is on
threads in MythTV.

Thanks,
Keith