[mythtv] LiveTV with multiple tuners fails when first tuner doesn't respond...

Keith C mythtv at keithandjill.com
Wed Feb 1 15:26:38 UTC 2006

On Feb 1, 2006, at 8:17 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:

> On 2/1/06, Petr Stehlik <pstehlik at sophics.cz> wrote:
> Steven Adeff píše v St 01. 02. 2006 v 08:14 -0500:
>
> >                 I have three tuners, for some reason MythTV wants to
> >                 use my firewire connected cablebox as the first
> tuner
> >                 for live TV
> >
> >         You can set tuner priorities in mythtv-setup.
>
> > My priority list:
> > 1) HD3000
> > 2) PVR150
> > 3) Firewire DCT6200
>
> > so I assume livetv works backwards through the list, except that
> when
> > I'm in livetv on the DCT6200 and hit the tuner change button it goes
> > to my HD3000 next, then the PVR150. I assume this is due to the
> > priority for the next scheduled recording and trying to avoid that
> > tuner. But since my HD3000 only gets like 8 channels it would be
> nice
> > to be able to tell Myth not to use it as a general livetv tuner
> unless
> > I specificly tune to one of the channels it does receive (ie an HDTV
> > channel).
>
> I *think* that MythTV uses either cardid order or even the physical
> order of entries in the database table for Live TV. I have manually
> exchanged all fields of row 1 (cardid 1) with row 3 (cardid 3) in the
> table (all but the cardid field itself, of course) to let Live TV
> prefer
> the PVR 150 instead of a bt8x8 card.
>
> Petr
>

> interesting, so the order in which the user adds sources determines
> the live tv order...

Yes, priority has no effect on which card starts up in Live TV.  In
fact, I'm glad it doesn't.  I always want to record from my HD3000
first, so its the highest priority.  But I never want to start Live
TV with it (too slow and was problematic in the past if a channel was
off the air).  So I deleted all my cards and readded them with the
HD3000 last.  It was a less painful move than I expected with no real
down sides.

Keith C