[mythtv] Compiling on AMD64

Colin Guthrie mythtv at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Feb 2 21:01:31 UTC 2006

Michael J. Lynch wrote:
> Solaris does this seperate directories thing for 32 and 64 libraries
> too.  It's done that way because the libraries can be named the same.
> The really cute thing Solaris does is locate the 32 bit directories in
> someplace other than /lib.  In /lib are libraries that are essentially
> wrappers that dynamically select at runtime either th 32 or 64 bit
> library based on the word size of the application being run.

Ooh, that's a clever trick... :) That would ease the pain somewhat, but
still wouldn't help the myth configure scripts as they just look for the
existence of files. If the file exists in /lib then that doesn't
actually tell us which arch that file is available for :-/ so we don't
actually know if we have the lib or not :)

Col.