[mythtv] Compiling on AMD64

Colin Guthrie mythtv at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Feb 2 21:16:33 UTC 2006

Isaac Richards wrote:
> Why would you need a gradual transition to 64-bit?  I don't have any 32 bit
> libraries on my system.  All my 64-bit libraries are in 'lib'.  Install
> compatability libraries elsewhere, instead of forcing native ones into odd
> locations.

Fair do's the gradual transition thing is not really overly relevent now
that everything works fine on 64 bit, but it wasn't always that way :)

That's fine for a small distro or self built system but I can see the
time saving benefits for a very large distro like e.g. Mandriva.

I still need 32bit libs/apps (e.g. Java Plugin/Flash Plugin (and thus
Firefox to run them in!) and mplayer for those pesky WMVs).

I could do without some, but I need flash/java plugins for my work so
stuck between a rock and a hard place. I have no option but to install
the 32bit libs (or just use a whole 32bit OS which is no fun ;) )

If Mandriva/YouDistroMaker wants to support people in my position, it
makes sense that their 32bit builds can just install on my 64bit system,
and therefore they make the namespace (if that's a correct term)
different for the 64bit version.

Perhaps a more elegant solution would be to relocate the install of any
32bit RPM to e.g. /32bit/yada/yada. I guess that would require a bit of
a hack to RPM... hmmm, damn I've just managed to argue against myself
and convince me you are right.. Ahh well :p

ANyways, this is not even vaugly relevent to Myth anymore. I am what us
Scots call "havering". http://www.lehuanet.com/plockton/pbritdic.htm#havers

I'll shut up now. Patches in Trac if anyone is interested.
http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1198

Col.