[mythtv] Recordings in subdirectories

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Feb 5 13:28:59 UTC 2006

On 02/05/2006 06:02 AM, David Whyte wrote:
> On 2/5/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>
>> The attached patch adds the ability to store MythTV recordings in
>> subdirectories of the RecordFilePrefix (or its subdirectories).
>> Although the patch could be used to sort files (and make for smaller
>> directories to improve filesystem performance), moving files to
>> subdirectories is most useful when mounting additional filesystems
>> (either local or network) beneath the RecordFilePrefix.
> I think with this patch added, we could move one step closer to having
> recordings be put across multiple drives, using symbolic links.  With
> some kind of job running every now and again, just move a recording to
> a symbolically linked sub directory and then update the DB
> accordingly.
>
> This would be good for people like me who would like to add a new
> disk, but don't want to enable LVM or RAID.

If you're using SVN (and especially with remote systems), I'd love to
get some feedback on the patch.

> Mike, is this patch going into SVN?

Once I get some more feedback, I'll put it in Trac for the devs to make
that decision.  ;)  (It would definitely be after 0.19, though, since
we're in feature freeze--and, really, we'd need some awareness of the
consequences in auto-expire before it's ready for mainstream.

Mike