[mythtv] Recordings in subdirectories

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 17:55:48 UTC 2006

On 2/5/06, Chris Pinkham <cpinkham at bc2va.org> wrote:
> > I think with this patch added, we could move one step closer to having
> > recordings be put across multiple drives, using symbolic links.  With
> > some kind of job running every now and again, just move a recording to
> > a symbolically linked sub directory and then update the DB
> > accordingly.
>
> You can already accomplish this in theory with the myth_archive_job.pl
> script, it just doesn't update the database because it just moves the
> original file and creates a symlink in the old location pointing to the
> new location.  It works great and supports multiple drives.
>
> > Mike, is this patch going into SVN?
>
> I think Kevin Kuphal has mentioned a couple times that he wants to work
> on adding the concept of "Storage Groups" to SVN once 0.19 is out.  So
> this patch may or may not make it in as part of that.  If Kevin doesn't
> work on it, then I will, or perhaps we work on it together.  I have
> 3 directories which hold all of my videos.  I manage this by using the
> myth_archive_job.pl script I put in the SVN contrib directory.  I
> run this as a UserJob currently, but would like to stop having to
> copy files around after the recording finishes so the concept of
> Storage Groups is very near the top of my TODO list.  I even contemplated
> hacking in some code in my tree to create the link ahead of time so that
> the file would get created in its final home.
>
> So, I think you can expect something that will accomplish this before
> 0.20, but the details have yet to be worked out.
>
> I'll start another thread on the topic of Storage Groups.

I've sort of been doing this already, I symbolicly link archived shows
to subdirectories within my recordings directory and then add the file
to the db with a little script I wrote, it places the folder
information in with the file name in the db and everything works fine.

I guess my point is, I don't understand what the patch is adding
(other than being able to use a completely different directory, if I'm
reading things right...?)

--
Steve