[mythtv] Storage Groups functionality

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Feb 6 20:44:13 UTC 2006

On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 08:09:16PM -0000, Paul Harrison wrote:
> One other point. I guess you value your recordings more that me but
> I really don't want to have a machine chugging away for 6 hours just
> so I can create a backup. For what blank DVD's cost these days if a
> recording is that important I would rather just burn a second copy.

You're a watcher, not a keeper.

We keep *seasons* of shows around on-line, because it's convenient to
refer back to them.  My personal goal would be to be able to buy a used
jukebox off someone on eBay, and have it filled with shows which were
archived off the MythBox (preferably as-transcoded to MPEG-4), and have
all the metadata live in the system, so that if we wanted to look at
something, we could just hit play, and the box would tell the juke to
either mount said disc, or copy the file in to staging for playing from
HDD.  Or, at the very least, to prompt us to manually drop a DVD-R in
the drive for said purposes, as a first cut.

You understand what I mean, though?  My personal wish is for Myth to
*natively* support archiving of programs which it still considers under
it's control.

This would generalize not only to DVD-R's as above, but to multiple
disconnected hard-drives, identifiable by VOLID or mount point.

Cheers,
-- jra

	A: No.
	Q: Should I include quotations after my message body?