[mythtv] Storage Groups functionality

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 21:39:40 UTC 2006

On 2/6/06, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 08:09:16PM -0000, Paul Harrison wrote:
> > One other point. I guess you value your recordings more that me but
> > I really don't want to have a machine chugging away for 6 hours just
> > so I can create a backup. For what blank DVD's cost these days if a
> > recording is that important I would rather just burn a second copy.
>
> You're a watcher, not a keeper.
>
> We keep *seasons* of shows around on-line, because it's convenient to
> refer back to them.  My personal goal would be to be able to buy a used
> jukebox off someone on eBay, and have it filled with shows which were
> archived off the MythBox (preferably as-transcoded to MPEG-4), and have
> all the metadata live in the system, so that if we wanted to look at
> something, we could just hit play, and the box would tell the juke to
> either mount said disc, or copy the file in to staging for playing from
> HDD.  Or, at the very least, to prompt us to manually drop a DVD-R in
> the drive for said purposes, as a first cut.
>
> You understand what I mean, though?  My personal wish is for Myth to
> *natively* support archiving of programs which it still considers under
> it's control.
>
> This would generalize not only to DVD-R's as above, but to multiple
> disconnected hard-drives, identifiable by VOLID or mount point.

so basically you want to merge the Watch Recordings screen and MythVideo?

Which is similar to what I think would be cool.

Right now I add my archived shows manually to the db to list them in
my Watch Recordings screen, they're symlinked from nfs mounted drives.
I wrote a perl program to scrape tv.com for the show information and
add the show to the recorded table in the db. I archive in xvid avi's
so no mythcommflag --rebuild is required, but I've included in my perl
program a check so that if the file being added is an mpeg it will run
mythcommflag after db insertion.

I like the idea of recording groups being able to specify a recording
subdirectory. It would also be nice to have a menu option to move a
recording to a subdirectory, have it move the file and redirect the db
information to the new location.

I also like the idea of being able to "hot-mount" drives under the
recordings drive and have Myth import the shows automatically. Perhaps
an xml file with the same base name as the recorded file that contains
the information Myth needs (the shows guide information, etc). This
way Myth just has to keep watch for newly mounted subdirectories and
then scan the xml files.

--
Steve