[mythtv] Storage Groups functionality

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Feb 6 22:26:23 UTC 2006

On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 04:39:40PM -0500, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On 2/6/06, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> > We keep *seasons* of shows around on-line, because it's convenient to
> > refer back to them.  My personal goal would be to be able to buy a used
> > jukebox off someone on eBay, and have it filled with shows which were
> > archived off the MythBox (preferably as-transcoded to MPEG-4), and have
> > all the metadata live in the system, so that if we wanted to look at
> > something, we could just hit play, and the box would tell the juke to
> > either mount said disc, or copy the file in to staging for playing from
> > HDD.  Or, at the very least, to prompt us to manually drop a DVD-R in
> > the drive for said purposes, as a first cut.
> >
> > You understand what I mean, though?  My personal wish is for Myth to
> > *natively* support archiving of programs which it still considers under
> > it's control.
> >
> > This would generalize not only to DVD-R's as above, but to multiple
> > disconnected hard-drives, identifiable by VOLID or mount point.
>
> so basically you want to merge the Watch Recordings screen and MythVideo?

Explicitly, no.

MythVideo a) is out-of-band to the normal use of the box, and b) ...
well, I dunno; let me think on that further; perhaps my knee was
jerking.  I don't *think* so, though; MythVideo is sort of a second
class citizen.

For example, programs moved from Myth to MV would no longer be skipped
in recording schedules, I don't think.

> Right now I add my archived shows manually to the db to list them in
> my Watch Recordings screen, they're symlinked from nfs mounted drives.
> I wrote a perl program to scrape tv.com for the show information and
> add the show to the recorded table in the db. I archive in xvid avi's
> so no mythcommflag --rebuild is required, but I've included in my perl
> program a check so that if the file being added is an mpeg it will run
> mythcommflag after db insertion.

But you already *recorded them* though myth in the first place, no?  So
why *dump* all the metadata in the first place?

> I also like the idea of being able to "hot-mount" drives under the
> recordings drive and have Myth import the shows automatically. Perhaps
> an xml file with the same base name as the recorded file that contains
> the information Myth needs (the shows guide information, etc). This
> way Myth just has to keep watch for newly mounted subdirectories and
> then scan the xml files.

I was merely looking for Myth to a) permit them to be recorded on/moved
to that removable drive, and b) not have apoplexy if they're
temporarily off-line -- while still otherwise treating them as
first-class citizens.

Cheers,
-- jra

	A: No.
	Q: Should I include quotations after my message body?