[mythtv] LiveTV program change question

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Mon Feb 6 22:45:22 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 17:04 -0500, Steven Adeff wrote:
> is the stream capture stopped between programs such that stream data
> is lost? Up until today it seemed as though the transition was
> seamless though with an occasional 1-2sec pause/freeze of video, but
> just now I noticed that it looks like 1-2sec of data was lost at the
> program change. I'm wondering if this is something I should look for
> again as a possible bug or if its supposed to work this way?

The recording is seamless, but the playback is not entirely seamless
with DTV recorders. Some somewhat invasive work has to be done to
make it safely seamless. The seamless playback was been explicitly
disabled because the recording params can actually change radically
at the transition point, and we don't cope well with that (this
non-seamless behaviour is a hackish fix for the problem, and is
referenced in an open ticket for the "crash on transition on recording
param change problem"). We also lose some frames on resolution and
aspect ratio changes, I plan to fix both these problems together at
some point.

In practice, I've found the transition to be pretty close to seamless
even with DTV recordings (it is the frames in flight that are lost,
so 1 second should be the absolute maximum lost). Depending on the
audio and the amount of movement on screen, I often don't notice it.

More often than not the transition is during a commercial break
anyway :)

-- Daniel