[mythtv] null tvchain in TVRec::TuningNewRecorder

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Tue Feb 7 22:28:30 UTC 2006

Hi all.

Over the weekend I upgraded from a mid-November SVN to recent code and
now I can't make recordings anymore.

I've been poking around the code all afternoon and the problem seems to
be when a recording starts there's a null value in TVRec.tvchain and
this causes TVRec::TuningNewRecorder to skip the ringbuffer setup code
(lines 3641 to 3657 in svn 8870). Following that much mayhem ensues. On
the other hand, if I'm in live TV when it's time to start a scheduled
recording then things work OK.

By way of background I'm running svn 8891 on a debianized kernel 2.6.15
and ivtv 4.2. I did my upgrading in two steps: the kernel and ivtv were
upgraded from kernel 2.6.8 and ivtv 3.X on Thursday and ran them
against the mid-November myth for two days. Things seemed stable so I
moved myth to current svn and haven't had a successful recording since.
Oh, there's also an xorg upgrade in there, I went from 6.8.heinz57 to
6.9 if that matters.

Oddly, if I reboot with the 2.6.8/3..X combination I'm able to make
recordings although they're poor quality so I'd really rather not go
back to the older driver.

I'm continuing to analyze this but I wanted to open it up to people who
are more familiar with this code than myself. There may be an
environmental component to this and I admit my machine is a bit on the
crufty side but still, that TuningNewRecorder method really ought to
die violently if it doesn't have a recorder to tune.

Thoughts? Advice?

- George