[mythtv] MythTV - Version 1.0

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Feb 8 20:09:21 UTC 2006

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 10:54:57AM -0800, Ross Campbell wrote:
>      > Is it time to call it Version 1.0?
>      >
>      > Myth is too good to have it start with a zero!
>      We have to have a 0.5x and 0.99.x series first :)
>
>    and version 0.99 needs to be followed by 0.100!
>    <peeve>
>    I hate it when opensource programs go from version .9 to .10 or .99 to
>    .100  -  version  numbers  should be NUMBERS. New versions should have
>    HIGHER  numbers  than  the  previous  versions,  or at very least they
>    should alphanumerically sort as "higher"
>    </peeve)

You're attempting to parse software version numbers as rational
numbers.

It should become apparent that this is unreasonable at the point at
which version numbers grow a third component (0.18.1).

Each component of a version number is an independent item, and should
be interpreted that way.  0.100, while less common than 0.10, is
perfectly valid, and is higher than 0.10 (since each component of the
version number is an independent integer, trailing zeros are
significant).

This is the most common version numbering scheme, and also the sanest.

Cheers,
-- jr 'IMNSHO' a

	A: No.
	Q: Should I include quotations after my message body?