[mythtv] Input switching question

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 23:47:00 UTC 2006

On 2/15/06, David Engel <gigem at comcast.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 05:19:09PM -0500, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
> > Why is that?  If the scheduler wants to start recording on (in the
> > above example) card 2 ivtv s-video, in IG B, it can only do so if the
> > other inputs in IG B (ivtv coax and HD) are already not busy, right?
> > If they're not busy, the scheduler only needs to send the "stop
> > whatever you're doing" to the particular input it wants to use.  If
> > the other inputs in the IG are busy, it wouldn't be sending the signal
> > in the first place.
> >
> > What am I missing (I'm assuming there's something)?
>
> You're totally missing how live TV currently works.  You're also
> missing how the scheduler doesn't want to wait, nor should it have to,
> for various recorders to shut down completely and properly before it
> can issue a start command.
>
> David

I apologize if some of what I say is so basic as to be frustrating to
explain.  I can understand that.  I'd like to get up to speed enough
where I can contribute something useful to myth though, so I am
reading code and asking questions.

Can you explain in some more detail how the IGs necessitate
compilcated local/remote encoder link changes?  I don't see how that
relates to live tv.  An example would really be great.  Up until you
said that, I was thinking I might be able to implement IGs myself.
But perhaps as you said, my lack of knowledge of how live tv works is
keeping me from seeing some important complexities.

If I'm totally out of my depth here, I'll stop asking questions and
resign myself to just listening, but I'd like to understand the thread
I started and help if I can.

Thanks,
-Jerry