[mythtv] "New" Feature: RTSP streaming for myth backend

Devan Lippman devan.lippman at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 15:31:34 UTC 2006

On 2/10/06, Stormboy <stormboy at stormboy.com> wrote:
> [...]
> RTSP server might involve dynamically creating or starting an RTP
> transmitter upon URL request of the RTSP server.
>
>  Alternatively, if you are streaming on a local network (or larger network
> if allowed by routers/firewalls), clients could connect directly to the RTP
> stream.  You just need to deliver an SDP spec to the clients so they can
> tune into the stream(s).
>
>  I think there is RTP code in gstreamer and live.com that may be used (not
> sure of live.com's licensing though).
>
>  Stormboy
>

>  Joe Votour wrote:
>  --- Devan Lippman <devan.lippman at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>  On 2/1/06, Devan Lippman <devan.lippman at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>  Similar to Thor's MFD it would be nice to have to
>
>  ability for MythTV
>

>  to stream from the backend via RTSP. I'd like to
>
>  implement this in
>

>  such a way that the stream could be adjusted
>
>  (bitrate, etc) on the fly
>

>  before being sent out. I'll admit I know very
>
>  little of how MythTV's
>

>  playback stream pieces together as it stands.
>
>  There may be someone
>

>  better to take this one on but I consider myself a
>
>  good C/C++
>

>  programmer and am willing to volunteer my time. If
>
>  I were to go about
>

>  this I'd probably try the following order:
>
> - Initiate video stream of file from drive (based
>
>  on Thor's MFD work;
>

>  liveMedia)
> - Get transcoder to stream to the RTSP video
>
>  streamer (based on mythtranscode)
>

>  - Fit it in to MythTV (??)
>
> I know I said I was going to peek at MythWeb music
>
>  but this is really
>

>  something that keeps coming up for me and would be
>
>  a benefit to
>

>  mythweb, along with the rest of MythTV if muticast
>
>  can be provided.
>

>  Keeps MythTV ahead of the slingbox and TiVO too :)
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Devan Lippman <devan at lippman dot net>
>

>  There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest for this,
> is there
> something that I'm not seeing that might be standing
> in the way of
> this? Wouldn't this be the prefered method for
> streaming live tv,
> etc?
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Devan Lippman <devan at lippman dot net>
>
>  I think if mythbackend were an RTSP server, it would
> be great. At that point, any RTSP-compliant player
> could be used as a minimal frontend.
>
> However, having tried to develop an RTSP server
> myself, I can testify to how much of a pain it really
> is. An RTSP server has to support a lot of
> capabilities, and what's worse, many clients claim to
> be RTSP capable, but they usually mean a specific
> implementation of RTSP, which leaves us no better off

Sounds like you know a lot more about this than I do.  I had thought
that RTP was a subset of RTSP, but I confess its been a while since I
looked at this.
Basically I had two intentions here.  One was to allow a built-in
streaming method for things like mythweb to add slingbox-like
functionality and the other was to allow mutiple frontends to time
sync when playing back the same stream.

Really I have less interest in supporting third-party clients but I
know Thor had success connecting to his streamer with VLC.