[mythtv] Input switching question

David Engel gigem at comcast.net
Fri Feb 17 05:04:32 UTC 2006

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 12:09:32PM -0500, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
> What do you think about the idea of doing #1 and #2, and dealing with
> #3 afterwards?

I'll have to give it more thought, but right now, I would probably be
reluctant to accept 1 and 2 without a clear plan and intentions to do
3.

> The consequence would be that if someone was watching
> live tv on a recorder in an input group, and the scheduler told
> another recorder in that IG to start recording, the person watching
> live would see the show change out from under them when the external
> tuner got its channel changed.

Consider the following example.  Using this feature, someone sets up
their HDTV card to record both digital and analog TV.  Now, say they
are watching live TV using the analog input and the scheduler kicks of
a recording on the digital input.  The recording will fail because the
device driver won't allow the digital input to be opened until the
analog input is completely closed.

> However, that situation can already happen in Myth as it is now, so no
> one would be any worse off, but they'd have the added capabilities of
> #1 and #2.  Or does implementing #1 and #2 compilcate or make worse
> the symptoms of #3 somehow?

As usual, the devil is in the details.  Until there is a complete plan
for all 3 together, you can't say that any one is done.

> Of course it would be best to have all three, and the only reason I'm
> proposing postponing #3 is that I'm in need of Input Groups now and I
> think I may be capable of implementing #1 and #2, but probably am not
> qualified for #3 (and #3 isn't as important for my system
> specifically).

Don't sell yourself short.  If you're capable of dong 1 and 2, you
should be capable of doing 3 too.

> Because of the nature of development, I can't assume
> that anyone else is going to be working on this any time soon, but I
> would like any changes I make to be integrated in to the dev tree.

It's been on my TODO list for a while, but it's very low priority.  If
you're willing to do the grunt work, I, and possbily Bruce too, would
probably be willing to point you in the right direction and provide
feedback.

David
--
David Engel