[mythtv] Thoughts on AutoExpire

Geoffrey Kruse gkruse at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 04:32:25 UTC 2006

I have two ideas to make myth slightly more efficient.  (By more
efficient I mean doing less recording / commflagging etc)

1)  If a program is going to be rerecorded in the foreseeable future
if it is auto expired, then don't auto expire.  To make space, auto
expire the next recording in the list.
		This saves recording and commflaging which saves wear and tear on
the disks and power to run the computer if you have it set to shutdown

2)  If a recording is going to be auto expired immediately after it
is recorded, then don't record it.  This case can happen if you have
a title set to record one, and expire old and record new.  If there
are back to back episodes of this title, the first will be auto
expired immediately after it finishes recording.
	This again saves recording and commflaging which saves wear and tear
on the disks and power to run the computer if you have it set to
shutdown

There are probably other similar scenarios which should be analyzed.
With the number of recordings myth makes daily, it would be nice to
do what we can to reduce wear and tear and computer processing time.

Geoff