[mythtv] Marking programmes as 'previously seen/recorded'

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jan 2 09:23:12 EST 2006

Kevin Kuphal wrote:

> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> Kevin Kuphal wrote:

>>> If something is scheduled you can mark it as Never Record which does
>>> this.  I'm not sure why you would need to mark something as never
>>> record that you are not currently scheduled to record...
>>

>> Because my Myth box has better long-term memory than I do.  :)
>> Creating a one-time record rule, marking it "Never Record", and then
>> deleting the rule is way too much work.  I like to add movies that
>> I've seen to the oldrecorded table just in case I forget when it airs
>> again in 2 years and set a record rule (or, if I'm thinking, so I can
>> run a quick query in 2 years to see whether I've seen it).
>
> Is it the case then that you use alot of category recordings?
> Otherwise, if you choose to schedule it for recording, I would think
> either a) you wanted to see it or b) found it interesting enough to
> check it out and if you find later you've seen it then you just
> delete, with prejudice.  I suppose if you had alot of category record
> rules or other "automatic" catches it would make sense but it seems
> fluff to me because you'll see those recordings ahead of time in
> upcoming recordings and can remove them or you simply just never
> choose to schedule them individually in the first place.

My movie recording rules aren't necessarily category recordings--most
are "find once" rules that I make when I see a description that sounds
interesting.  However, if Myth told me I'd already seen a show, I won't
"get my hopes up only to be crushed by the realization that it's a
'repeat.'".  ;)

Also, I even use the database in non-Myth situations.  I.e. a  friend
invites me over to watch movies and lists several DVD's from which we
can choose and wants to know which I've seen.  A quick query tells me
what I need to know.

Mike