[mythtv] SVN8501 LiveTV via firewire

Jeremy Muhlich jmuhlich at bitflood.org
Thu Jan 5 21:17:58 UTC 2006

Is it really swapping which jack it outputs video on, or might some
state just getting reset when you unplug/replug the cable?  Can you
replug into the same jack instead of swapping and get video again?

Note that when the linux1394 code references a "port" it really means
"host adapter".  I.e. if you have two separate 1394 chips/busses on your
motherboard, or one onboard and one on a PCI card, then you would have
two "ports".  Two jacks that are controlled by one chip are not two
"ports".   I don't think the jacks can even be differentiated, at least
in software.  I'm not sure what the official 1394 terminology is, but
this usage of the word "port" is very confusing.

Your cable box may have two jacks, but there's certainly only one 1394
chip driving them both.  Thus it would be pretty odd (and certainly
broken) if the firmware could manage to output to one jack
preferentially.

 -- Jeremy