[mythtv] MythTV Usability Report

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Mon Jan 9 03:30:15 UTC 2006

Myles Eftos wrote:

>>G3 - That's the nature of PVRs.  try using the EPG or browse mode.
>>G5 - Because it's also known as the conflict resolution screen
>>G6 - RTFM?
>>G7 - Go to the upcoming recording screen, the watch recordings screen or
>>hell any screen involving recordings.
>>
>>EPG1 - Hit the "show guide" button
>>

>I think the point that Jono is making is that for interface issues
>like this you shouldn't have to RTFM. My girlfriend isn't going to
>jump on Google and try to find the legend for key bindings. He makes
>some valid points here and isn't looking for the solution himself - he
>is looking for the solution for ALL users.
>
>You can, to a degree get away with web-only documentation for software
>packages that are going to be used exclusively by computer people
>(i.e. someone with the knowledge to install the package in the first
>place), but MythTV is now getting to the point where many non-computer
>users are using it. Usability and/or thorough online help is extremely
>important in this instance.

Or more to the point, the installer of the system should make sure the
keybindings are intuitive for *their* users and configure them
appropriately.  There is a big difference between usability complaints
and not understanding the flexibilty the system provides and taking
advantage of it to suit your needs by reading the documentation and
understanding the features.

Kevin