[mythtv] MythTV Usability Report

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Jan 9 04:33:25 UTC 2006

On Jan 8, 2006, at 11:20 PM, Steve Hodge wrote:

> On 1/9/06, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
>> Again, I need to point out that my 8 year old daughter can work
>> nearly all of my mythTV system and never read a word of any manual.
>> My 14 year old can do it all and never read the manual. They're below
>> the grade-level of the average Mythtv user.
>
> That doesn't mean there aren't problems. The pural of anecdote is not
> data. Jono has provided examples of the things he thinks are not
> ideal, to simply dismiss them all with a "RTFM!" or "You're wrong" or
> "My kids don't have any problems" is incredibly unhelpful. And  for
> what it is worth my wife won't try to do much more than watch
> recordings because it is not simple. Yet she was the one who
> programmed the video when still used that piece of antiquated junk.

Please read my other post explaining why I disagree with most of
Jono's requests. Also see that I agree with some. Also see that most
of what he's asking for is already in the software.

>> Also, it's pointless to complain about things that have been fixed
>> in SVN.
>
> How is a user running the latest stable release supposed to know what
> has been fixed? Do you really want to discourage users reporting
> problems by shouting "It's fixed in SVN" at them all the time?
>
> I don't run SVN so I don't know, but I strongly expect that at least
> some of the issues raised still exist.

I don't run SVN, but I know what's fixed in it. I read the forums.

>> Developers knew it was an issue and fixed it. What more can you
>> expect them to do??
>
> I can expect them to reply with a lot more politeness than has been
> shown in this thread. The tone of this thread has been outright
> dismissal that anything is amiss. That's not the way to treat someone
> trying to offer constructive criticism.

Thank you for your suggestions. We will forward your request for
consideration in future email correspondence.