[mythtv] OSX backend beta test

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Mon Jan 9 14:56:04 UTC 2006

Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> writes:

> On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 08:50 -0500, David Abrahams wrote:
>> As I do my refactoring, it begins to look to me as though the original
>> FirewireChannel code has a few problems.  Close() doesn't seem to do
>> anything, for example.  Also, if the channel failed to open,
>> SetChannelByString generates an error message about having the wrong
>> kind of device and then returns true.
>
> The FirewireRecorder code is not our finest example of a recorder,
> it was written by one guy who then disappeared. It was actually
> impressive how quickly he got it together, but it needed on-going
> care to iron out the oddities...
>
> Look at ChannelBase, and Channel to figure out what channel should do.
> If neither applies the DVBChannel class is probably doing the right
> thing too, but not always. As for close it is possible that
> StartRecording() is closing the file handle, this is not so nice.

I've already gotten as far as possible by looking through the existing
source; I really need to know the *intention* of the author of the
base classes in order to do the right thing.  That intention is
neither documented nor evident from the code.

>> There are no documented requirements for SetChannelByString, so I
>> could be wrong about what it's supposed to do, of course.  Maybe
>> returning true in that case is just fine.
>
> It should only be returning true when it changes the channel
> successfully.

*that's* the sort of answer I'm looking for.  So does it matter that
Close() doesn't do anything and all the real action happens in the
Channel's destructor?

>>  And maybe it doesn't matter
>> if Close() doesn't release the firewire handle allocated in the
>> channel's Open() call.
>
> Close should probably release the handle if it is still being held.
> It looks like this is being done in the destructor instead.

Yes.

> Since none of the active developers are using the FirewireRecorder
> we can't really change this since the assumption is that whatever is
> in there now at least works to some degree.

Ouch.  So my refactoring, which is pulling lots of common source out
of firewirerecorder/firewirechannel into
firewirerecorderbase/firewirechannelbase so that
darwinfirewirerecorder/darwinfirewirechannel can use it too, can't be
tested?

That's a major problem.  It seems to me that the only alternative is
copy-and-paste programming: copy firewirerecorder/firewirechannel into
darwinfirewirerecorder/darwinfirewirechannel, remove all the
non-darwin stuff, and then revert firewirerecorder/firewirechannel.
There will be *lots* of code duplication.  Is that the only acceptable
course of action?

>> Also, is the Channel always allocated first?
>
> I'm pretty sure the answer is yes.

Yeah, it is, AFAICT.

>> Is the Recorder supposed
>> to work if the Channel couldn't be allocated or opened?
>
> It is not required to. We used to try to do this, but with some
> types of recorders this would be very difficult to do.

Okay, thanks.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting